RSS


Get glimpses of the writing life of Christa Brassington, including novel excerpts, writing advice, sobering rejections and (hopefully) joyful acceptance, alongside basic writerly observations. All here on Writer Wise.

Bring on the Reinforcements!



I reread my last post and thought what a defeatist tone it had when I said that I would be happy to say I survived, rather than won the NaNoWriMo challenge. So, to boost my drive, last night, hours before NaNoWriMo officially began, I posted on Facebook a request that friends and family enter their ultimatums for me if I don't reach my 50,000 word goal by November 30th. They came up with some gems, these among them:

I would have to:
--give a weekly sixty-minute massage for six months to my Mom.


--sew my friend a gypsy skirt.


--take my niece and nephew over night once a month for six months so my sister and her husband could have a date night. (they are a joy, so this one isn't so much of a threat as some of the others, but, as my mom lovingly refers to them, they can be energy vampires.)


--Provide dinner three nights a week, with drinks to boot, to a bachelor friend of mine. However he didn't specify a duration, so I'm assuming this is only for one week. His loss in not being more specific. ;)


--do all of my math-teacher-friend's grading for a month.


--cook a Christmas ham for another bachelor.


--Run a 5k with a questionable friend. Yech! I hate running. Why would you run, when God created so many other less-horrible ways of moving from one place to another?


So there you have it. More motivation to reach my goal.

I then proceeded to clean the house and brainstorm where to begin writing, sat down at my computer at 12:01am and my computer promptly crashed.

Of course.

I rebooted and finally was able to get started at 12:28am. Two-and-a-half hours later I had 2023 words under my belt and a positive beginning to a month-long task.

0 comments:

Post a Comment