RSS


Get glimpses of the writing life of Christa Brassington, including novel excerpts, writing advice, sobering rejections and (hopefully) joyful acceptance, alongside basic writerly observations. All here on Writer Wise.

Writer W-Eyes


Yes.

That's my eye.

It probably looks that way quite often when I'm having a hard time finding the revisions for the chapters that I've been working on.

I can read the old version and have a distinct recollection of changing certain passages... but can't think of how EXACTLY I changed them.

Alas, I do not despair. I know that eventually they will turn out as they should. But it still feels like lost time when I can't locate my work. Bother.

Since we're on the subject of eyes... here are three verbs for writers that start with the letter I.

1) INCUBATE--pretend you've got an egg under your tush and you have to put the time in every day for it to develop (your story and your writing definitely require this). Even momma hens have to get up now and then so they don't mess on the eggs, but still, don't make excuses. Plant your rear in the seat and maintain the conditions favorable for hatching, development, or reaction.

2) INDUCE-- A : to move by persuasion or influence. B : to call forth or bring about by influence or stimulation. Whatever it takes. Read books you love. Read books you hate. Read out loud. Listen to music that inspires. Watch a movie with a great plot that spurs you on. But before long get back to incubating!

3) IDEATE-- no really, it's a word. \'i-de-,ate\ verb. to form an idea or conception of, to form an idea. I suppose I could have used "imagine," but why? when you can learn a new word!

"Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration."
-Thomas Edison

May all you write inspire.
May all you read inspire, too-- but limit it to one percent of your work.

Unless of course it is the Living Word, then by all means-- forget what I said about the one percent.

---

The I is watching.

Yeesh, I cringe just writing such a poorly constructed sentence.

Forgive.

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Eye love this post. ;)

Luke Foust said...

Eye love this post. ;)

Sabrina said...

Eye love this post. ;)

Luke Foust said...

Eye love this post. ;)

Post a Comment